Friday, January 6, 2012

Honey Bee's - Honey Nut Balls

I would love to have bee hives. Fresh, unadulterated, golden nectar would be a far cry from the more -than-likely-imitation honey that takes up space on my pantry shelves. After reading the following http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2011/11/25/142659547/relax-folks-it-really-is-honey-after-all I decided to check out Ashley English's book "Keeping Bees" despite the fact that my local municipal codes do not all bee-keeping. Bee's apparently are not a lot of work the author claims. No more work than the dog requires with a daily walk (although the dog doesn't sting). While I know nothing about queen excluders, supers, European foulbrood, or the difference between Carniolan or Caucasian bees, I am certainly open to learn. The final chapter included recipes with an emphasis on nothing other than: Honey! One that caught my eye immediately was the holiday rounds (honey nut balls). I made 1 or 2 changes and the result is a tasy recovery snack that is both gluten and dairy, and peanut free.




Adapted from Ashley English - Holiday Rounds
1 C.  Pecans
1 C.  Walnuts
1/2 C. Almonds
1 C.  Dried Apricots
Chop in food processor

1/2 t. Kosher salt
1/4 t. Fresh black pepper
1 T.  Chopped fresh rosemary
1/4 t. Nutmeg
1/2 C Dried cranberries

1/4 C. Almond Butter
1/3-1/2 C. Honey
Heat in saucepan then stir in spices and cranberries. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
Stir in nut mix and 1t. vanilla and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes.
Form into small rounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment