Monday, January 23, 2012

Sweet Potatoes with Apples, Onions, and Bacon

I've been on a sweet potato kick recently. Baked sweet potato fries is my go to starch. The sweet potato is  nutrition laden carbohydrate that is gluten free and relatively inexpensive. To mix it up I found a recipe from Anne Burrell on foodnetwork.com. I first read about Anne in Bill Buford's book Heat.  She was/is a sous working under Mario Batali. Now, of course, she has a tv show, possibly a book or two, and is popping up under popular search engines with recipes for sweet potatoes.

Sweet Potato Hash - adapted from the Anne Burrell and the Food Network

2 Sweet Potato - diced 1/2"
4 Slices Bacon
2 Apples - peeled and sliced
1 Onion - halved and chopped

Roast sweet potatoes coated in olive oil at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes

I should have cut the sweet potatoes in half yet again.


Cook bacon. Reserve.

Saute onions until soft.

Add apples to the cooked onions. I used Arkansas Black because I had them in the fridge and they hold up to cooking well. 



 Return bacon to the pan

 Add sweet potatoes and cook until the outer edges crisp.
I poured off a little too much of the bacon fat. Either that or the dish could have used a splash of cider at the end of cooking to go with the apples and provide the sweet potatoes with some extra moisture.

No comments:

Post a Comment